Field Science Day (4-5th grade classes)
Dates: April 18, 2017 - May 4, 2017
Time: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Contact: Ali Stefancich: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor: Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
Registration and dates are limited. Priority will be on a first come, first serve basis.
Spring 2017 Field Science Day dates: April 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, May 2, 3, 4
Select your date and register your class by FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2017:
Students will work with UC staff on standards-based, interactive lessons connected to scientific research at the UC center in Browns Valley, CA.
- Soils and healthy environments: students will conduct experiments that show how soils filter pollution and explore physical properties of soils that help keep our environment clean
- Plant acclimation and adaptation to drought: students will measure and develop hypotheses about how different plant populations respond to drought
- Ecosystem and food web energetics: students will use habitat maps to calculate energy needs of different animals and develop hypotheses about food-web dynamics
- Technology and environment: students will use GPS and environmental sensors to understand how and why these instruments are used to monitor our environment
- Optional hike: Depending on interest and available time, hike, explore and observe oak woodland and Yuba River ecosystems (the hike will add an hour, making the program approximately 4 hours long)
Elementary school teachers can contact Ali Stefancich for more information at email@example.com or 530-639-8800.