Field Science Days (4th & 5th grades)
Registration and dates are limited. Priority will be on a first come, first serve basis.
Spring 2017 Field Science Day dates: April 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, May 2, 3, 4
Select your date and register your class by FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2017:
Suggested donation of $2 per student
NGSS Science education programming for 4th and 5th grades
Students will work with UC staff on standards-based, interactive lessons connected to scientific research at the UC center in Browns Valley, CA.
- Soils and healthy environments: students conduct experiments that show how soils filter pollution and explore physical properties of soils that help keep our environment clean
- Plant acclimation and adaptation to drought: students measure and develop hypotheses about how different plant populations respond to drought
- Ecosystem and food-web energetics: students use habitat maps to calculate energy needs of different animals and develop hypotheses about food-web dynamics
- Technology and environment: students use GPS and environmental sensors to understand how and why these instruments are used to monitor our environment
- Optional hike: Depending on interest and available time, hike, explore and observe oak woodland and Yuba River ecosystems (the hike will add an hour, making the program approximately 4 hours long)
Elementary school teachers can contact Ali Stefancich for more information at email@example.com.
Beef & Range Field Day (high school students)
The Beef & Range Field Day is held at the beginning of October each year. Local high school students are invited to participate. Students have the opportunity to interact with University of California researchers and industry leaders on key topics related to beef cattle husbandry and rangeland management.
SFREC Nature Trails
Porter Creek Nature Trail
The Porter Creek Nature Trail is accessible to the public during SFREC business hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-4:00 pm)
Hikers must check in and sign individual waivers at SFREC Headquarters. 8279 Scott Forbes Rd., Browns Valley, CA 95918. (530) 638-8800.
Yuba River Education Center and Douglas McCreary Nature Trail
The Yuba River Education Center includes a covered pavilion and trail along the Yuba River. It is utilized for SFREC outdoor education programs and is only available by reservation for outside groups that meet specific insurance requirements. Call (530) 639-8800 for details.